Event: Stage Fright at London Horror Festival 2014
By Andreas Charalambous - 5th May 2014
Calling All Writers!
The London Horror Festival, the UK’s festival of horror in the performing arts, are once again teaming up with award-winning audio drama producers The Wireless Theatre Company to produce the Stage Fright horror radio competition.
STAGE FRIGHT is searching for short radio dramas exploring the spooky, the shocking, the macabre and the downright terrifying…
We’re accepting submissions from writers at all levels of experience, from veteran scriptwriters to first time scribes, challenging you to create a spine-tingling short drama to be performed and recorded live on the opening night of the London Horror Festival 2014.
Three short listed entries will be produced and performed live by a team of professional actors from the Wireless Theatre Company, for one-night only as part of the STAGE FRIGHT 2014 event on the opening night of the London Horror Festival. The professionally produced recording of the evening will then be available for download from wirelesstheatrecompany.co.uk, which receives over 3 million hits per year and offers a great platform for your work to reach a global audience of listeners.
A winner will be selected from the shortlist and awarded the Andre de Lorde Award for Horror Playwriting, by a celebrity judge. Previous Judges have included horror legend RICHARD O’BRIEN and horror writer and critic KIM NEWMAN.
You can download the recording of last year’s event here:
Submissions will be accepted until mid August 2014
Enter online here: www.londonhorrorfestival.com/stagefright
Terms & Conditions for STAGE FRIGHT 2014
1. Entries must be no more than 15 minutes long (approximately 10 typed pages) and in what could be broadly defined as the horror or thriller genre. Psychodrama, horror comedy, genre mash-up, pastiche and monologue forms all considered, but your objective should be to send a shiver down the spine…
2. Entries should be appropriate for performance by a cast of no more than five and written with the radio in mind. Complex sound effects will not be possible, but we strongly encourage the use of effects which can be performed live.
3. Scripts should be submitted via the online submission form no later than August 15th 2014. Please complete all fields in the form. Applications received after this date will not be considered.
4. A £2 entry fee is required for each script submitted. Writers are free to submit as many scripts as they desire, however the fee must be paid for each script. This is to cover administration and readers costs. Payment must be made via PayPal at the time of application (mark your payment with the name of your script). Scripts will not be considered until payment has been made.
5. Short listed writers will be contacted via email before September 20th 2014.
6. Short listed entries will be directed, rehearsed and performed by a team of theatre professionals and produced by the Wireless Theatre Company. They will be performed and recorded live at a London theatre venue on the opening night of the London Horror Festival 2014.
7. All scripts remain the property of the writer; the Wireless Theatre Company retains the rights to the recorded performance, which will be distributed with no charge from their website.
8. The performance and recording will be a ticketed event at the London Horror Festival, with each short listed writer receiving 2 complimentary tickets.
9. Plays must be the author’s own work, adaptations of existing texts will only be considered if the work is out of copyright or owned by the play’s author.
10. Plays should not have previously been published, recorded and/or distributed, nor have previously been professionally performed. Amateur performances or readings and online publications may be acceptable.
11. Entrants must not be directly involved with Hidden Basement Productions , the Wireless Theatre Company or the London Horror Festival